Sunday, October 10, 2010

Let the games begin!

We landed in Las Vegas yesterday, after a smooth seven hours of travelling. First, we flew from Ottawa to Montreal, although I don't entirely believe that. I think we actually just flew to the end of the runway in Ottawa, and walked the rest of the way, judging from how short the flight was, and the distance we walked in the Montreal airport, it seemed like we walked forever! There were long lineups in Montreal, it took almost an hour to pass through customs, in that time, I noticed how chic Montrealers are. Unlike myself, who prefers to travel in comfortable clothing (the same cotton t-shirt and stretchy pants it seems I wear every day of my life), people in Montreal dress up to travel.

The flight from Montreal to Las Vegas was five hours long, with no SkyMall to entertain me, I decided to watch an in-flight movie instead. The pickings were slim (very slim), so I settled on "Sex and the City 2: two hours of your life you'll never get back". OK, perhaps I fudged the title a little, but my title is a little more accurate than their title. When a movie opens with Liza Minelli dancing and singing Beyonce's "Single Ladies" in little more than pantyhose, you know it's going to be bad (very bad). In normal circumstances, I would just stop watching a bad movie, but at 40,000 feet in the air with absolutely nothing else to do, I was sort of stuck. I would call the movie horrific, but then I'd be worried the word 'horrific' would take offense to being associated with such a craptacular movie, and it would take me to court and sue me for slander. I looked up the movie's rating on Rotten Tomatoes last night, and it got a surprisingly high 15%. Yes, it's a very low rating, but the fact that 15% of the movie reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes gave it a positive review indicates to me that 15% of the movie reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes shouldn't actually be movie reviewers because clearly they suck at reviewing movies.

When we landed in Las Vegas, we did what most Canadians do when they hit US soil, and we went outlet shopping. After all that walking from Ottawa to Montreal in the Montreal airport yesterday, it was quickly apparent that the one pair of shoes I brought with me are not going to cut it in Las Vegas. Walking a show that is a million square feet in size requires good shoes, I dropped the ball, and packed a pair of little black ballet flats that I think are super-cute. I had an awesome pair of Pappillios (vinyl Birkenstocks) that gave up the ghost this summer, and I was unsuccessful at finding a suitable replacement, so I took a pair of shoes that are generally comfortable in day-to-day use. Epic fail!



In Las Vegas, they sell two kinds of shoes: ridiculously tall and pointy high heels, or 'toning' shoes that supposedly work your glutes while you walk. There were eleventy million different styles of 'toning' shoes, and not a single pair of Birkenstocks to be found! I don't know who wears these 'toning' shoes, I'm someone who generally lacks style (not entirely true, I just don't give a rat's ass), and I'd be embarrassed to be seen wearing them in public. They must work really well if someone's going to put up with their sheer ugliness in order to obtain a firmer butt. I will pay close attention the butt situation here and report back!.



With no luck at the outlet shopping in finding a decent pair of shoes, we headed to Target to see what they had to offer (FYI, Target is coming soon to Canada!). While we were there, I came across Dr. Scholl's massaging gel inserts, with nothing to lose, I bought a pair. When I slipped them in my shoes, it was like the heavens opened up and angels started to sing. So. Comfortable! So in the span of a week, I picked up crocheting, found a curly hair on my chin (TMI?) and started wearing shoe orthotics. It's liked I skipped right to being 80! Regardless, I will have some bounce back in my step today when I pound the pavement at the ABC Expo.



We're off the show this morning, I have several orders I need to place, then I'll be floating around (thanks, Dr. Scholls!) trying to scope out any new products that I think would be a good fit for our store. Stay tuned for pics and news from the show!

10 comments:

  1. You crack me up, Susie! ;D Am sitting here giving Alan the play-by-play of you post as I burst into laughter with each additional paragraph! ;D Can't wait to hear about your "finds"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a great time. Thanks for the entertaining blog post. I was laughing out loud at several points - much needed after a sleepless night with a 5 week old baby. Have fun - would love to be there 'floating' around with you. Can't wait to see pics. - Julie*

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ refashionista - I was giving my hubby the play-by-play as well - great entertainment.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - come on, Sex in the City wasn't that bad. Can't take them too seriously, or me for that matter. I hope that you and your 'old lady inserts' have fun today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog post as usual. Sounds like your security was worse then mine, and I flew across the ocean to Holland.
    I had no line up to check in, could go through a seperate line for security in Canada, because I had a small child on my back. (thanks again for the no stroller suggestions, and I'm using cloth even on the plane). And arriving in Holland the security line up was fast, and my suitcase was the first one, since they added a sticker to get it off the plane first. Hope the rest of your trip is good, and you enjoy the show. Get us some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your blog posts! They should have you guest star on Dragons Den!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope your having a blast... sounds like you are. I can't wait to hear all about the good, the bad and the ugly!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Massaging inserts?! Awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun! Hope you didn't get any blisters. Look forward to hearing about all your cool finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, i'm a single ladies.. i'm a single ladies.. This is nice song..



    Mickey Buarao

    ReplyDelete