Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I can breastfeed here or there, I can breastfeed anywhere!

If you're local to Ottawa, you may be aware that a breastfeeding mother was recently asked to cover-up as she nursed her infant pool-side at the St. Laurent Recreation Complex. The city of Ottawa was quick to offer an apology to the mother, the lifeguard who asked the mother to be discrete did so without consulting any of her superiors or co-workers first. The media has picked up on this incident, and some of the resulting comments have been unsettling, to say the least. Granted, the majority of commenters agree that women have the right to breastfeed in public, however, it's astonishing to see even a few individuals suggesting babies should be fed in bathrooms, some even comparing breastfeeding in public to defecating in public. It's hard to believe that people can be so ignorant, however, an incident like this, and the ensuing coverage, provides a good opportunity to educate the general public about breastfeeding rights.

Women in Canada are allowed to breastfeed anytime, anywhere. This basic right is protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms under section 15(1) which guarantees equality. In Ontario, the Human Rights Commission covers a woman's right to breastfeed in public:


You have rights as a nursing mother. For example, you have the right to breastfeed a child in a public area. No one should prevent you from nursing your child simply because you are in a public area. They should not ask you to “cover up”, disturb you, or ask you to move to another area that is more “discreet”.


I have always considered myself fortunate to be a breastfeeding mother in the city of Ottawa. We have access to a number of free breastfeeding drop-ins througout the city, a great resource for moms who need assistance. Going one step further, Ottawa's Breastfeeding Buddies program pairs a new breastfeeding mother with a volunteer who has breastfed for at least six months.

I have breastfed our babies all over the city without encountering a single negative comment, much less a sideways glance. Perhaps the silver lining behind this particular incident is that it provides an opportunity to educate people about their rights. Breastmilk is best, breastfeeding is not offensive. If you don't agree with me, you can suck it.

9 comments:

  1. 110% agree. The whole "I shouldn't have to look" thing drives me up a wall. Honestly, the same type of entitled asshole who "doesn't want to have to see a naked tit 'whipped out'" is the same kind of entitled jackass who's more than happy to avoid looking at someone who's in a wheelchair or panhandling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a "Breastfeeding Buddies" program! What a great way to provide support to newly-breastfeeding Moms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Kitchener/Waterloo the link to Breastfeeding Buddies is:

    http://www.kdchc.org/?page_id=45

    Also, most of the Waterloo store employees are currently breastfeeding buddies, and one is also a La Leche League leader too!

    We have flyers available in the store with more information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Suck it" indeed! Bet you didn't mean to be punny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Stands and claps*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. I've been waiting for someone to tell me to cover up, but it hasn't happened yet unfortunatly. You don't see a lot of breastfeeding moms out there, which is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely agree!

    I never had problems breastfeeding in public when my little girl was under a year, but now that I'm still breastfeeding her at 18 months, I get a lot of weird stares (I refuse to cover my daughter's face, but I'm discreet and pick quiet spots). Even my family-in-law is asking questions about when I'm going to stop breastfeeding.

    I think it's great that mums are trying to integrate this amazingly beneficial practice into everyday society, which is clearly where it belongs! Let's keep going!

    ReplyDelete


  8. Digi Experts, you get to training under Industry experts with 12+ years of experience. The course covers all the main topics such as lead generation strategies, best affiliate programs, affiliate marketing tips Grab your seat with a discount offer.

    ReplyDelete