1) I'm washing every 3-5 days (with the toploader, I would wash every 7 days).
2) I'm more vigilant about removing every speck of poop from Grace's diapers.
3) I've eschewed using a sopping wet towel to weigh down the load in favor of pouring extra water directly onto the diapers after I've loaded them into the machine. The plastic "Simply Orange" juice bottle is well-suited for this purpose, I pour three bottles of water onto the diapers, adding an additional five liters of water to the washing machine.
4) I do a pre-rinse (no detergent).
5) I pour three more bottles (another five liters!) of water onto the diapers.
6) I add detergent (a half scoop of Country Save at this particular point in time), running the machine's 'white' cycle, which is a hot wash, followed by a double rinse (cold water).
The pre-rinse in addition to the extra water has worked wonders, I was stripping Grace's diapers with RLR on a monthly basis (and that does work really well to remove stink), but not stripping diapers at all is nice
So there you have it. The frontloader and I are finally friends, cue applause!